First off, I just want to say Happy Christmas!!!! I hope you all had an amazing Christmas with your families and friends.
Ok....so now to start....I've been having a tough time thinking about what to say/how to respond to some of the comments I got regarding my last post. So I'm just going to tackle them head on, and just so you know though there are only three posted here, I've heard a lot of the same types of comments through different means.
One of the comments that I heard in particular struck me as odd. It is a fact that I went to the same Christian school for about 13 years...yeah.....I know. It is a fact that my parents are Christians, and that I went to the same church as them. It is definitely safe to say I grew up in a Christian home, my dad was on the Board of Shepherds of the church. This is all factual, there is no denying that.
While there is no doubt I lived a sheltered life, I don't think that my sheltered life is the reason for my eating/weight problem. There are so many other people who have gone to private schools for a long time, and they are "A-ok". I have no one to blame for my eating problem but myself. It's not my teachers fault. It's not even my parents fault. My parents have always been on me about eating healthy, and exercising and what not. It's not my cousin's fault. It's not my sister's fault....it's mine. I choose to eat the food. I choose to keep eating.
Now while I admit that because I grew up the way I did, I missed out on a lot of stuff that other people did. I didn't go to parties. I didn't drink til I was 21.....I was considered the "goody-goody". This is also a fact. But so what? So what if I didn't have those nights that I don't remember because I was too wasted. I have so many great nights that I do remember, and that's amazing.
The other thing that kind of makes me chuckle when I hear stuff like that, is my situation was WAY different than everybody else. I had to grow up faster than a lot of other people my age. Most days I came home from practice, did my homework (on a good day ;) ) and then helped my sister make dinner for my parents. Then I was helping with my niece. There was so much more that I had to worry about that most people didn't have to worry about.
This is not a pity party.....at all. This is a review of the facts. This is a very tired review of the facts.....one that will probably be edited or deleted when a fully rested wide awake person is able to reread it and fix it. But for now....that is all.....until next time, I will continue to think about the deeper aspects of my problem....peace and love
you took what i said wrong. i wasn't blaming your weight on the fact that you lived a sheltered life. i meant, that by your comment that you felt like you were rebelling when you ate more. the key word there: rebelling. becaause you never had the chance to rebel in a normal way. and i don't mean you missed out on drugs or what not.. just a whole other world and thought process out there.
ReplyDeleteand yeah, people you know who went to private school their whole lives are okay, that you KNOW of. they may, and probably do, have problems that they don't discuss with you or are actively trying to hide. i, for instance, am one of them. i'm still, at my age, trying to undo the damage that school did on me. cornerstone was a horrible experience and people who went there missed out not only the typical teenage experience, but the experience of being around a far more diverse group of people(races, economic levels, and so on.) they were only exposed to (mostly)white people of mid to upper class and therefore have a much harder time relating to others who have had vastly different life experiences.
and lastly, i'm not calling you spoiled by anymeans.. you certainly had your hardships to deal with. all i was saying was that the cloistered life you were brought up in might be part of the problems you are currently facing.
Like I said, I've heard this from a lot of people, not just you. I'm not sure of your experience at Cornerstone, and while I'm not saying that it was the most amazing school ever, I can't say that it was a horrible experience. I am grateful that I was able to get the education that I did, and the opportunities to play sports that I did.
ReplyDeleteAgain, I don't know your experience. All I can say is that in my graduating class of 15, there were some very diverse people. Granted there were only 15 of us, but still. I'm sure I missed out on a lot, but even if I went to another school, I'm sure I would have been just as "sheltered".
I think I should say that I've had plenty of chances to rebel that I just didn't take advantage of. I had every opportunity to join my friend who didn't go to my school in their shenanigans.
I agree that the life I had while growing up has definitely affected my outlook on life. I'm sure it has a lot to do with a lot of my problems. I don't deny that, but I wouldn't say it's the main reason.
But I do appreciate your comments. I really do, it makes me think a lot about things. And again, don't think I was calling you out. I have heard this a lot, not just as a response to this blog either, but just because people think it. Thanks again.